The Suns Final Form

After deciding to make the suns form hollow and on a larger scale, I decided to experiment with alternative forms which I could use for the sun. I created the form for the sun as an quick experiment in term 1 using the sine wave point attractor definition with a sphere to see the result. I then decided to take the 3D printed form through to glass, but I never revisited the form to see if I could actually create other interesting forms which could suit the form of the sun better, so I have returned to the definition. The first thing I experimented with was changing the frequency of the sine wave and moving the sphere in relation to the points generated by the data to create different waves on the form. v4

untitled.160untitled.159untitled.158

I then changed how the definition worked a bit, altering two things; 1. I changed how the points generated by the data relate to the sphere; I actually placed the point onto the surface of the sphere rather than having them in external space to the sphere, so the data defined where each point on the sphere was positioned. This generated the waves right on the edge of the spheres surface, rather than generating waves in space.

wtgehuuuuuu8up;

I followed this by changing how the vectors worked; similar to the image sampler definition where the points were pulled outwards from the sphere, I made the sine waves pull the surfaces outwards from each point which create a really interesting abstract form-

synv3
untitled.163untitled.162untitled.161

The final thing I did was the same as the above but put back the vectors to a simple Z axis movement which gave the below result-

sunv2

untitled.168untitled.166untitled.165

untitled.99untitled.98untitled.97

Whilst I do like all these new generations of form, I thought they were not all as natural and as pleasing as the original form of the sun. It has made me realise how much I like the original form for the sun so I have decided to keep it as it was! Whilst this is a bit of a full circle I have found some new methods to generate different forms which I really like. So all I altered was the size of the piece using grasshopper to get the diameter to 200mm and then split the pieces exactly in half so I will be able to 3D print the piece on the Ultimaker 2+ in the University.

DIMESIONS

untitled.95yikk

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s