Now I have handed in my dissertation I have been focusing my mind back onto my subject work. Last term I developed lighting pieces which explored how form can be determined by something other than just the human mind behind the work, with each piece being largely defined by planets and their individual characteristics. The idea that the form of the pieces reflected data from the individual planets and that the forms were determined by something largely out of my control fascinated me and is something I am looking to continue exploring. To create these formed I have developed a design method which is as follows-
- Find and establish the data set that is going to be used to define the parameters of the forms to be created
- Build a code/grasshopper definition that uses the data to create a useable form. The form should be able to integrate function such as providing useful illumination as well being relatable and aesthetically pleasing. This is usually not a problem as the forms from the data turn out to be very interesting and organic, provided the definition is well developed such as the point attractor definition, see last term posts.
- Define the function through choice of material and consideration of the requirements of that use. In the case of lighting the electronics and type of light need to be carefully considered to complement the form and provide a excellent dialogue between form and function.
- Edit the form to make it suitable for digital fabrication such as creating a ‘watertight’ STL file
- Once the form becomes physical, integrate the function and finish the pieces creating a final piece.
Having defined this design method it could now be interesting to apply to to other areas of design such as tableware or furniture. The design method could actually be applied to a wide range of things, even architecture to an extent. In this next week I plan to come up with some new conceptual designs using this design method. Some initial potential applications could be-
- Furniture with the form defined by the wood from which it is made or where the origins of the data is exhibited as a centre piece
- Drinking glasses from which the from is inspired by the water that is drunk from it
- An entire building whereby the form is defined by its surroundings such as data from the area in which it is build
The potential applications will require me to discover new data sets such as the oceans and landscape. This may require further experimentation in Grasshopper to build new definitions which work with the new data.