Making The Light: Stage 3

Once I had wired together the magnets in the triangle I could finish the triangles. I apply two coats of primer to the MDF shapes to give the spray paint a even surface to adhere to. I then applied five coats of white Matt spray paint. I also applied two coats of boiled linseed oil to my walnut triangles. Unfortunately once I had finished the triangles I found out some of the problem cited in my previous edit post so I had to retouch all of the triangle once I had sorted out the issues! At the end I am very pole asked with the two finished and how the contrast one another bringing the couloirs and textures out in each other. The walnut wood really paired me back for all the hours I spent disbanding them. The grain really came to life and the alignment of the grain that I spent time getting right early on really played off.

In-between the time spent the getting the wiring right I was beginning making the mounds for my bronze shapes. I cast a perfect MDF triangle in silicon, then taking waxes from them making them into a tree and then coating in molocite, using what I learnt from my medal project this was a easy task and was a good thing to do in between the harder elements of the project. I then burned them out and poured bronze into the mold. The pour went really well and I was pleased with how the shapes came out. I then was inducted on the milling machine which I used to flatten out each surface perfectly. I really enjoyed using this machine, there was something so satisfying and therapeutic about seeing the shaving of bronze flying off and the end result of a perfectly flat surface. I also brought the gold of the bronze out. I then used an air tool to brush the surface to achieve my desired matt finish and to remove the marks from the milling machine. I then drilled the holes in the bronze. This began as very straightforward task, treating the bronze like I did with the wood. However, When It came to drilling through the bronze so the power wire could reach all the magnets things started to get very tricky. I realised at this point I should have made the bronze hollow and then welded up the hole. I had learnt how to used the TIG welder so this would have been very easy. In the end I had to drill two holes, one from one side and one from the other and try to get them to match up which I managed to do in the end with help from a very beefy air tool! I have certainly learnt my lesson on this front especially considering how easy it is to fill a hole in bronze sing the TIG welder. It all turned out okay in the end one I had welded up and then smoothed out them hole, and I am very pleased with the with result.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s