Now that I had got a rough final design for my light, I began to make the wooden triangles, after further experimentation regarding the wooden triangles, I got my method for making them. I began by cutting and glueing the MDF and the Walnut wood, marking our the triangles before doing so. Once this was complete I cut the shapes out using the bandsaw. I followed this by roughly sanding them to size on the disc sander. I then remarked them using the template to get the shapes more similar in size. The MDF shapes were much less complex to get right than the walnut. Thankfully I got some MDF that was the correct thickness, 20mm, so that 3 layers made it the perfect width, however the walnut was 25mm so I had to also sand down the faces of the triangles. I had to sand off a bit of each slide so that the l;ones of the layers were equal on each side. This made it hard because I had to hand sand all the triangles to smooth out the scythes of the disc sander which had a hard grit sandpaper. Getting the width the same on all the triangles was tricky as one had to apply a perfectly even pressure to get the faces flat. So the most time consuming part of this process was using the Radom orbital sander to sand everything to the same size. I was aware that even if I got everything perfect the sizes could change one I drill the holes as they might not be perfectly aligned so t would leave a lip which would need further sanding so I didn’t get it perfect and decided that I will give them another sand once I have fitted the magnets. Sanding the triangles to shape and so they were all pretty much exactly the same size took all week, and was exhausting! But it is now complete. I also used a fine sandpaper to slightly smooth the edges of the triangles so they were not too shapes and not a Heath and safety risk.
A design decision that I made during this process of making was to align the grain of the walnut to give the side of the triangle a nice effect. I did this right at the start before returning I glue the Walnut together. Walnut has two shades of colour; Dark brown and a light sandy colour. I wanted to align these colour together so that I looked a natural as possible and disguised the layers as much as possible. Additionally I aligned the grain so that on each layer the Gran would run together, to further help this illusion that there are not layers. I am quite pleased with the results and it was worth the time spend trying to figure out where to put which cut of wood.