I also needed to begin making the lighting pieces to go with the table and chair. I began with the main light which would hang over the table and chairs, lighting it from above. I wanted to the wood to match the wood of the table and chairs. I thought about buying a block of Birch matching the birch plywood, but I decided it would be cheaper, and more interesting, if I layered up lots of scrap plywood and turned it on the lath. So I did this and cut it into a rough circle shape and mounted it on the lath. I was quite nervous about how the plywood would react to being turned and whether it might just split and fly off the lath! But it responded very well, and I was able to manipulated it quite easily on the lath. The only thing about it was it would blunt the tools quite quite so I had to learn how to sharpen the laths tool, but that was a good skill to learn anyway! I decided I would have to turn the light in two sections to achieve the cone shape that I wanted out of the wood. I turned the outside and then hollowed out the inside. However, I wasn’t pleased with the angle of the cone shape and I was being restricted by the faceplate as to how steep I could go with the angle. So I decided to alter my design as bit. Instead of having a cone shape with a point I would have it with a flat top and make the shape slightly shorter, allowing me to cut into the wood just before the screws started to fit the faceplate on.
I am very pleased with the shape of the light now and I am especially pleased with the layered effect of the plywood. All is left to do on this light is make the ceramic bottom and the acrylic plate to fit onto the bottom which will be frosted to diffuse the light. I will then need to attach the ceramic to the wood and finish off the wood to a high standard. After that I will fit the light and electric so the light functions and attach the acrylic sheet to the base of the light.
I also need to make my little central light which would go in the center of the table, using layers of plywood like the larger light, and layers of acrylic. To achieve the pyramid shape I wanted I had to do some 3D cutting on the Bandsaw which I had learned from my furniture workshop earlier on in the year. This involved cutting the triangle shape on one face and the taping the sections you had cut off back onto the wood and then cutting a second triangle shape on the adjacent face. Then when you took the parts away you would be left with a pyramid. All I needed to do then was sand down the faces and drill a hold in the center so light could get up into the layers of acrylic in the wood when it will be lit from the bottom by a LED.