Further Project Update

Since making my sketchup models of my table and chairs, I have been working on designs for the ornament in the centre of the table, refining some of the chair designs and thinking further about the light to hang over the table and chairs. I also explored a possible sofa design with some Rhino modelled and practicing my 3D printing skills, printing forms and shapes out that would otherwise be very difficult to model. Alongside this I have done a lot of experiments with wood, looking at different geometric shapes possible in wood. Wood is defiantly a material that I will be using in my final piece. Below you can see some pictures of my wood experiments. I took some wood and sanded down the edges to creat different faces. The faces interlocked to create different geometrical forms. I used these as possible shapes to make my light out of. They also give me inspiration for other designs .

I decided to make a larger scale wood experiment, but for this I needed a big square block of wood, so rather than buying bigger block of wood, I decided to find lots of scrap pieces and glue them together too create the size I want. When I cut back into it and sanded it down it created a really nice effect as you can see below.


I like the idea of making the base of my table out of different layers of wood, and possibly giving the table good green credentials by salvaging the wood from scrap heaps.

Alongside these wood experiments I wanted to make a model of my chair designs. I use the same technique as I did for the base, to get the right size; gluing multiple blocks of wood together and then cutting and sanding them to shape. I have two designs in mind with subtle differences. The difference was the chair seat. With the first design, the seat is simple, in the shape of a extruded triangle, the second has pyramid shape for the base, mirroring the base of the table. I actually think I prefer the first design, but I still a bit unsure as which is my the best. This modelling process gave me a chance to see how the chair would physically look overall. I am please with the shape and I think the curves of the chair is very pleasing.







I also decided I wanted to model my designs in Rhino, and I wanted them to actually be to scale, so I could get an idea of the real proportions of the table and chairs and how this would look. I took some anthropometric data from the table below to give me a idea of sizes I should to suit the average user.

Anthropometric estimates for British adults
aged 19-65 years (in mm, from Pheasant)

Dimension 5th %ile 50th %ile 95th %ile
A Sitting height 850 910 965
795 850 910
B Sitting shoulder height 540 595 645
505 555 610
C Shoulder breadth 420 465 510
355 385 435
D Hip breadth 310 360 405
310 370 435
E Buttock-popliteal length 440 495 550
435 480 530
F Popliteal height 395 440 490
355 400 445

(‘Popliteal’ refers to the part of the leg behind the knee.)

Once I had complete the drawings including the light above the table, I 3D printed them to have a physical model of the design. I also printed out the chairs with the different option for the seat which you can see below along with the table and light. I also tried putting the different design for the chairs at the table to see how the two items matched together. Alongside the table and chairs and light, I also 3D modelled my sofa design, using the same sizes and measurements as my chairs, to see how that would look in real life. I was please with the outcome, it looking simple and geometric.


I then wanted to look at potential materials that I could use for the table and chairs, so I did some renderings in Sketchup of materials combinations that I thought might look good. Alongside this I wanted to explore ideas for the centre piece of the table so I started to model these. My main idea was to have some form of mood lighting in the centre that combined acrylic with wood, allowing light through the acrylic. I also explored the potential to have small shelves which folded out where small table items could be put, like salt and pepper and jams etc.  I also explored a possible method of joining two different materials together, if I were to use two different materials for the chairs. You can see the renderings below.

table chairs changes 4 table chairs changes 3 table chairs changes 2 CNETRE PEICE 2 table and chairs wood  table and chairs centre peicetable and chairs glasscentre piecechair finishchair join

After I had finished this I decided I wanted to experiment with how well wood and acrylic might work together as a lighting centre piece for the table and chairs. I was really please with how they came out. I particularly like the triangle shape. I not too keen on the orange, but the colors could be made to users preference.IMG_0682IMG_0684.JPGIMG_0683.JPGIMG_0681.JPG


I also made a small model of the table, making a small wooden base and small square of acrylic to give myself an idea of how the table might look with a see through top. I really how it looks when the table top is see through s you can appreciate the material of the base, so I need to consider what material I would use for the top on a full size scale.


This is as far as I have come this term with the project. Over the Christmas break I will think further about and construction techniques so I can hopefully come back and begin making a scaled prototype of the table and chairs, Light and potentially sofa.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s